Macaroni pasta: Desi style
Today’s innovation. Oh well, and a 5* piece of delicacy. 8) It’s not a tough thing to whip up, so try your hand at it, as I explain below 8)
Ingredients: Macaroni pasta, 1 onion, 2 tomatoes, 1 capsicum, 1 green chilly, tiny bits of ginger and garlic, tomato ketchup, ghee.
Spices: Salt, turmeric powder, zeera, red chilli powder, garam masala. Or if you can get this, Maggi Magic Masala pouch. And then you can cut out all the salt, chilli and garam masala.
- Bring the pasta to boil. Make sure it does not get too supple or it will crumble while cooking. Drain excess water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee. Add turmeric powder, zeera, ginger-garlic mash and cut green chilly. Saute onions first. Then add tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Add the boiled pasta to this mix. Mix well.
- Add ketchup. This is what will bring colour. Otherwise the pasta will be of pale yellow/dirty white colour [from the turmeric]
- Add salt+red chilli powder+garam masala OR Maggi masala, whichever is more easily available to you. Give it a good mix. The key to a uniform taste and avoiding blobs of masala is to keep giving it a good mix.
- Cook for a couple of minutes. This is what you will get.
Tip: If you DO add the Maggi Masala, don’t add chillies. It will be too “hot” to be eaten.
Garnishing tip: Sprinkle some shredded cheese/paneer over the pasta. I had neither at home
Alert: This will taste NOTHING like the pasta served at the Italian joints. This is done the desi style.